History & Mission of FMSI
In 1948 the Friction Materials Standards Institute was founded as a trade association of automotive aftermarket friction manufacturers. Since that time it has performed a very valuable service for the automotive aftermarket – the creation of a standardized part numbering system for brakes and clutch facings.
Maintain and enhance this standardized part numbering system for all on highway vehicles in use in North America.
Not only do the manufacturing members have the right to use this system, but their customers also have that right. From manufacturer through retailer / installer one part number is used as the standard and as a common language – the FMSI number.
Disseminate to its members such scientific, engineering, technological, statistical and other relevant information as it may obtain in the public domain pertaining to brake linings, clutch facings, and the industry.
In most industries each company must perform this service by themselves at substantial cost. Then they must coordinate that part number with their customers at additional expense to both. Because the members support and cooperate in this effort, the entire industry has benefitted at a relatively low cost.
Membership in FMSI is open to any manufacturer of friction and related products covered by the trademarked FMSI and FMS part numbers. Other participants in this industry may be eligible for licensee membership.
Both FMSI® and FMS® are registered trademarks of the Friction Materials Standards Institute.